The airplane is a Pitts S1S. Chef Pitts built it in his garage over a three year period while he was working as a professional Chef. That is why it's called the "Chefpitts". Pitts test flew it in February of 2013. He flew it to Sun n Fun in Lakeland, FL a few months later and was honored to win the "Best Homebuilt Biplane" award! The single place Pitts design has been flying since 1945. Chefpitts incorporates many modifications, including : Precision wings with longer ailerons, larger tail surfaces, integral gap seals, one piece plexiglass floor, many hand formed custom fairings, spring gear, and many more. The engine is a lightweight IO-360 from Barrett Precision Engines. About 200 hp spinning a Prince Carbon Fiber Prop.
The paint scheme is what sets this airplane apart. It is unique to this airplane. I designed the scheme and painted the airplane myself. The bottom surfaces feature a 3 dimensional cube design inspired by the German WW 1 " Lozenge " camouflage....The face on the nose is an homage to Cole Palen, who started "The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome" in NY. The face was on his Fokker Triplane. It was also on the Triplane of German Ace Werner Voss during WW1.
Chef Pitts started out in aviation like many others...Model airplanes. From hand launch gliders, to rubber powered stick and tissue free flight, to control line, to radio control. Hewent to his first airshow at Quonset Point in RI when he was 8. He saw The Red Devils, (later to become the famous Christian Eagles) do a formation snap roll in three Pitts Specials! That was the moment that led him to where he is today. Check out some cool facts about Chef Pitts:
- Got glider license before driver’s license
- Worked his way up from dishwasher to Chef over the next twenty years
- Started flying aerobatics while working in Country Clubs up north and in Florida
- Won the second Pitts Trophy ever awarded with less than 30 hours of Pitts time
- Now working as an aircraft mechanic at Precision Jet in Stuart, FL
- Currently working towards his flight instructor rating
- He is available as a ferry pilot for single engine piston aircraft
Chef Pitts is the builder, pilot, publicist, advertising designer, agent, photographer, web designer, accountant, secretary, and cook for Chefpitts Airshows!